This qualification is designed to provide qualified Gym Instructors the opportunity to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as a Personal Trainer or enable individuals to become self-employed running their own personal training business.You will develop knowledge of anatomy and physiology, functional kinesiology and concepts and components of fitness and demonstrate skills to successfully perform client consultations and gather and analyse to promote behaviour change.
You will be required to complete the following mandatory units:
- Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Motivate clients to maintain long term adherence to exercise and physical activity
- Evaluate exercise and physical activity programmes
- Design, manage and adapt a personal training programme with clients
- Deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a personal training programme
- Apply the principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme
Successful achievement of this qualification will provide entry to the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) as an affiliate member (exercise and fitness). Launched in 2011, CIMSPA is the professional development body for the UK’s sport and physical activity sector. CIMSPA provides leadership, support and empowerment for professionals working in sport and physical activity and a single unified voice for the sector.
- You must be over 19 years to enrol on the course and to be able to work unsupervised as a Personal Trainer in the fitness and health industry
- You must hold a relevant Level 2 Gym Instructor qualification and have experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights
- You will be required to participate in a range of advanced gym based physical activities and be able to communicate effectively to build successful relationships with their clients and other health care professionals, such as offering nutritional advice for physical activity based on clients’ needs
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01709 513355.
This qualification provides progression to:
- Level 4 Certificate in Advanced Personal Training
- Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
- Level 3 Award in Supporting Pre and Postnatal Clients with Exercise and Nutrition
- Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Older Adults
- Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Disabled Clients
- Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Matwork
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
- Level 4 Certificate in Strength and Conditioning
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify for help with fees.
The course will take place on Thursdays 9.00am – 4.30pm.
“I have met new friends in a great community while studying a practical course that I enjoy.”Bayley Lowe Level 2 Sport Former student at The Laurel Academy
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2022-23 or 2023-24. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.