The Level 3 Applied General Diploma in Fashion is a two-year course designed to build on your knowledge and skills in fashion and introduce you to the range of creative disciplines available to you.
This practical hands-on course encourages creative thinking and problem solving through the application skills, knowledge and technical understanding. You will develop critical and contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within fashion.
The first year will provide an opportunity to build skills and knowledge in a range of areas including fashion, design and garment making, fashion marketing, fashion illustration, textiles and fashion photography/film. You will learn creative and technical skills that will develop your understanding and application of visual language.
The second year will encourage you to specialise in a particular discipline and to further develop your skills and knowledge in this area, building a dynamic and focused portfolio of fashion design.
You will work on a range of exciting and varied projects individually and as part of a team. These projects will include personal projects, work experience and live briefs for external clients. You will produce garments to be featured in the end of year fashion show and will be encouraged to enter your work into national competitions.
Our team of specialist practitioners will support you in your development as fashion designers by providing you with a foundation of technical, creative and academic knowledge to progress successfully into higher education in a creative subject or gain employment in the fashion industry.
You will develop a range of skills including:
- Explore a wide range of disciplines within fashion including; fashion design, garment making, fashion illustration, textiles, fashion marketing or fashion photography/film.
- Investigate a wide range of fashion-based skills and processes including, drawing, sewing, pattern cutting, screen-printing, printmaking and computer aided design (CAD)
- Explore the principles and fundamental theories of fashion.
- Explore the skills required to specialise in a particular area of fashion i.e. fashion design, marketing, trend prediction.
- Learn industry standard software including Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Develop a creative and focused portfolio for progression into Higher Education or work in the fashion industry.
- The fashion studios are excellently resourced with a range of professional standard sewing machines, pattern cutting tables, screen-printing facilities and digital CAD resources.
- You will receive support and guidance from tutors with expert knowledge of the creative industries, who are practitioners, and have a good understanding of business practice
- Take part in educational visits including a second year residential to a major European city and galleries throughout the UK
- Assignment briefs will challenge and encourage you to develop your specialist skills in order to progress to within the fashion industry, or onto further study
- Throughout the academic year, there will be masterclasses, educational visits and exciting opportunities for you to work on live briefs
- Receive support with your UCAS application including portfolio-building sessions, interview preparation, writing your personal statement.
- Present and show your garments in fashion shows during and at the end of the academic year
5 GCSEs at grades 4 and above including English Language with Maths being desirable at grade 4 or a Level 2 qualification in a relevant area.
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01709 362111.
Once you have completed the course you can progress on to a wide range of Higher Education courses with us including:
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design,
- BA (Hons) in Fine and Applied Art
- Progress on to any Fashion based degree nationally or internationally
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify.
Students are asked to purchase a kit of equipment and to contribute to the cost of gallery and research visits.
“College has allowed me to focus on something I am passionate about and helped me gain a better understanding of the art industry.”Eddie Barlow Level 3 Art and Design Former student at Oakwood High School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024 – 25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.