The teaching team have a range of experience from practice within the industry with local, national and international networks.
They can offer real-world advice and guidance to help develop your practice.
You will be based in our professional design studio space which provide a stimulating learning environment. All fully equipped with the latest Mac/Adobe software.
Live projects are set by local and national designers and creatives including Eleven Design/Human Studios/Wentworth Woodhouse/Grimm & Co etc
You will have access to the lecture programme at Sheffield Hallam University where you will be able to see graphic designers and creatives.
The library and learning resources at SHU will also be available to you.
Students are offered placements to gain insight into the industry and to develop their professional practice.
There’s also the opportunity for field trips to local and international venues accompanied by a yearly residential to:
- Paris/Rome/Barcelona/New York/Berlin etc.
- Explore and study an area of interest such as Illustration, Typography, Branding or UX/UI design
- Explore and investigate a research topic that will provide the basis for practical work
- Construct a written project proposal on a research topic within a specialist practice
- Review and evaluate progress, analyse ongoing strengths and weaknesses
- Attend workshops, seminars and lectures by lead by industry professionals
- Students are also encouraged to enter the Design and Art Direction, New Blood Student Awards each year, to enhance their professional practice and further develop a creative, professional quality portfolio of work.
- Research and production of a practical body of work
- Develop an ongoing professional practice by engaging with a range of institutions, local industry and commercial partners
- Graduation Project presentation at the Final Year Show at UCR. This is a celebratory event attended by friends, family, industry partners, local design studios and academic institutions.
- A relevant Level 5 qualification
- GCSE English and Maths at grade C/4 or above or equivalent
- Successful interview with a course tutor
- A portfolio of work
- All applicants who are non-native English speakers, or who have not studied the final two years of school in English, must have an IELTS score of 6.0 or above
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of the page.
After successful completion of this course, you can pursue employment in:
- Graphic Design
- UX/UI Design
- Freelance Designer
Digital Portfolio Requirements
If you apply to the course we will ask you to provide a portfolio of work/digital portfolio to support your application. This can include development work, so include scans of one of your sketch books or other examples of development work to demonstrate your working method and ideas.
“I feel much more supported and have opened up more here. I get involved in sports now, as they adapt the activities to enable me to join in. I just love it here; we have a great laugh.”Jacob Hunter FLEX student
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024/25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.