The Level 3 Applied General Diploma in Art and Design is a two-year course designed to build on your knowledge and skills in art and design and introduce you to the extensive range of creative disciplines available to you. This practical, hands-on course encourages creative thinking and problem solving through the application of art and design skills, knowledge and technical understanding. You will develop critical and contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within art and design.
The first year will provide an opportunity to experiment with a range of disciplines within art and design including fine art, illustration, animation, textiles, 3D design and digital art. Learn creative and technical skills that will develop your understanding and application of visual language.
The second year will encourage you to specialise in a particular discipline and to further develop your skills and knowledge in this area, building a dynamic yet focused portfolio of art and design work.
You will work on a range of exciting and varied projects individually and as part of a team. These projects will include personal projects, work experience and live briefs for external clients. You will produce work to be exhibited at an end of year exhibition and will be encouraged to enter your work into national competitions.
Our team of specialist practitioners will support you in your development as artists by providing you with a foundation of technical, creative and academic knowledge to progress successfully into higher education in a creative subject or gain employment in the creative industries.
You will develop a range of skills including:
- Explore a wide range of disciplines within art and design including fine art, illustration, animation, textiles, digital design and 3D design.
- Investigate a wide range of skills and processes within art and design including, drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture, model-making, digital art, screen printing and laser-cutting.
- Explore the principles and fundamental theories of art and design.
- Explore the skills required to specialise in a particular area of art and design practice.
- Learn industry standard software including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Animate.
- Develop a creative and focused portfolio for progression into Higher Education or work in the creative industries.
- On this course you will work with industry-standard facilities and be taught by industry professionals who will guide you on your journey to becoming a creative practitioner.
- You will have access to professional standard studios and equipment including: laser cutting, screen-printing, 3D workshop, printmaking, ceramics and digital.
- Take part in educational visits including a second year residential to a major European city and galleries throughout the UK.
- Assignment briefs will challenge and encourage you to develop your specialist skills in order to progress to work as a practitioner, within the creative industries, or onto further study.
- Throughout the academic year, there will be workshops, educational visits and exciting opportunities for you to work on live briefs.
- Receive support with your UCAS application including portfolio-building sessions, interview preparation, writing your personal statement.
- You will receive support and guidance from tutors with expert knowledge of the creative industries, who are practitioners, and have a good understanding of business practice.
5 GCSEs at grades 4 and above including English Language with Maths being desirable at grade 4 or a Level 2 qualification in a relevant area.
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01709 362111.
Once you have completed the course you can progress on to a wide range of Higher Education courses with us including:
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- BA (Hons) in Fine and Applied Art
- BA (Hons) in Fashion
- Progress on to an alternative, creative based course at UCR or any university.
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify.
Students are asked to purchase an art kit and to contribute to the cost of gallery visits.
“College has allowed me to focus on something I am passionate about and helped me gain a better understanding of the art industry.”Eddie Barlow Level 3 Art and Design Former student at Oakwood High School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024 -25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.