This course will allow you to begin development on the skills you will need in order to work in the games industry. You will develop practical skills in the core areas of design, art and development and work across both 2D and 3D packages. You will also learn about the way the industry works and its structure. The aim of this course is to gain a range of introductory skills within several areas of digital animation and games, which will prepare you for employment in a related role or onto further education within the field.
You will study a range of topics including:
- Planning and Pitching a Digital Media Product
- Digital Production Project
- Animation for Digital Media
- Digital Audio
- Digital Testing
- Digital Editing for Moving Image
- Digital Games Production
- 3D Modelling
- Narrative for Digital Media
- Digital Graphics
- You will develop additional skills beyond your course, such as employability, pitching, presenting and team working with some work experience such as QA testing for a local games company.
- You will be taught by industry professionals who will guide you on your journey to becoming a games and animation design/developer
- Learn in cutting-edge facilities that replicate those of industry, you’ll use state-of-the-art equipment which includes high spec gaming computers and the latest gaming consoles
- Your work will be entered into national and global competitions and each year our students participate in field trips which have included visits to Science Museum in Bradford, Video Game Museum in Sheffield, Gaming Festivals (EGX, Rezzed) and London Residential,
- We also have guest speaker visits via Skype or who come into class to discuss their role and look at your projects.
- A minimum of four GCSEs at grade 3 preferably with Maths and English, or a suitable Level 1 qualification
- In addition to your main vocational qualification you will also be required to study English and maths as part of your course if you have not already achieved GCSE grade 4 or above
- A good reference
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01709 362111.
- Level 3 in Games and Interactive Media
- Level 3 in Computing
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify here.
Minimum hardware requirements:
- Desktop PC or Mac
- Windows 7 64-bit or OS X / macOS 10.9
- 4GB RAM (recommended 8GB)
- Nvidia GeForce 400 series or AMD Radeon 5000
- Internet connection
- Google Chrome
“I'm enjoying meeting new people with similar interests.”Justin Hamlet Level 2 Games Animation, Former student at Oakwood High School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2023-24. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.