Covering a vast range of skills and talents, art and design is a diverse subject that will help you turn your creative passion into a career. Whether you want to be the next Damien Hirst, animate for Disney, or you want to play a role in what the next Ferrari looks like, this subject will help you improve your talents and pursue your dream.
Art and design students are highly entrepreneurial and self-motivated, both qualities that you learn on your journey to becoming an artist. Our practical, hands-on courses encourage creative thinking and problem solving through the application of art and design skills, knowledge and technical understanding.
Our students go on to careers such as fine art, illustration, animation, textiles design, product design, ceramics, interior design, architect and more, to become part of a UK creative industry that is currently worth around £100 billion.
You will learn the creative skills needed to solve problems as an artist or designer. Project briefs will set challenging and exciting scenarios that will involve researching, idea generation, media sampling and production of final artwork. Workshop sessions will enable you to build skills in areas such as drawing, painting, printmaking, animation, 3D, ceramics, digital art, illustration, textiles and more.
Key aspects of learning include how to use the formal elements of line, shape, space, form, tone, texture, pattern, colour and composition to communicate ideas. You will explore visual language and different ways in which you can draw, paint, make and animate. You will identify your interests within art and design and develop your skills and a portfolio to ultimately forge a career in the creative industries
Our courses are 100% coursework based.
The Level 1 Art and Design will introduce you to the fundamentals of art and design and provide motivation and inspiration so that you can develop your art and design skills in a wide range of media and materials.
The Level 2 Diploma in Art, Fashion and Graphics is a practical and experimental course that will provide you with the skills and experience to progress onto your chosen specialism of Art and Design, Fashion or Graphic Design at Level 3.
The Level 3 Diploma in Creative Practice: Art, Design and Communication is a 2 year course designed to build a wide range of skills before encouraging you to specialise in your chosen area of art and design. The first year will provide an opportunity to experiment with a range of disciplines within art and design including fine art, illustration, animation, textiles, 3D design and digital art. Learn creative and technical skills that will develop your understanding and application of visual language. The second year will encourage you to specialise in a particular discipline and to further develop your skills and knowledge in this area, building a dynamic yet focused portfolio of art and design work.
The Level 3/4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design will challenge you to push your creative boundaries and develop your creativity. With a focus on problem-solving, idea generation and critical thinking; you’ll be asked to put aside your preconceptions and take risks outside your comfort zone. Drawing will underpin your studies as you gain a valuable introduction to a wide range of creative disciplines, allowing you to experiment before specialising in your chosen area. As the course progresses you will focus on developing specialist skills to apply to your chosen creative-based higher education course.
· You will work with industry-standard facilities and be taught by industry professionals who will guide you on your journey to becoming a Creative Practioner.
· You will have access to professional standard studios and equipment including: laser cutting, screen-printing, 3D workshop.,printmaking ceramics and digital.
· Take part in educational visits to places such as to Yorkshire Wildlife park, Yorkshire sculpture park or galleries at major cities such as Liverpool or Manchester. With an opportunity to go on a residential visit to a major European city on Level 3 courses.
· Assignment briefs will challenge and encourage you to develop your specialist skills in order to progress to work as a practitioner, within the creative industries, or onto further study.
· Throughout the academic year, there will be workshops, educational visits and exciting opportunities for you to work on live briefs with partners such as Wentworth Woodhouse and Rotherham Train Station.
· Receive support with your UCAS application including portfolio-building sessions, interview preparation, writing your personal statement.
You will receive support and guidance from tutors with expert knowledge of the creative industries, who are practitioners, and have a good understanding of business practice
You can apply using our online application form and clicking the Apply Now button at the top of this page. For more information support with your enquiry or application please contact Student Services by emailing email@example.com or by calling 01709 362111.
- 16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees
- Those aged 19 or over may not need to pay fees depending on their circumstances. Find out if you qualify.
“Coming to college has allowed me to develop more confidence to help prepare me for my next step in life.”Georgia Whitbread Level 3 Art and Design, Former student at Rawmarsh Community School
We make every effort to ensure information within our online course directory is accurate and a true representation of the courses we are offering in 2024-25. However, we do reserve the right to make changes if necessary.