Studying Sport & Physical Recreation at Dearne Valley College...
You will be learning and training in some of the country’s best sporting facilities! This includes a fully-commercial, on-site sports centre (DVC Sports), a FIFA 2-star accredited 3G Astroturf pitch, multisport cages, full-size grass football pitches, a sports hall, and a state-of-the-art fitness suite.
We use a wealth of sporting equipment and technology used by professional sports clubs, including a sports GPS system, timing gates, Hi Cam Telescopic Mast Filming Systems and various other technological equipment used to measure and analyse fitness and performance.
You will also be spending time at the Manvers Boathouse, making the most of the Manvers Lake, its surrounding landscape and its fantastic resources. Great for both team building and confidence building, you will experience the thrill of canoeing, open-water swimming, mountain biking, orienteering, windsurfing, sailing and raft building.
Sports Leaders UK
We are proud to have achieved Sports Leaders UK Leadership Academy status. This prestigious accolade is recognition for the College’s commitment to sport and young people working as sports leaders within the local community.
Dearne Valley College has one of the longest running Academies of Sport in the UK. With state-of-the-art sports facilities on-site and professional Coaches employed by the College to deliver training sessions, DVC is the place to be for aspiring, young sports people. The Academy gives you the chance to study at college whilst pursuing your sporting aspirations and currently includes Basketball, Football (Men’s and Women’s), Golf, Outdoor Pursuits, Rugby and Taekwondo. All training and competitive fixtures take place during college time. The Sports Academy is available to all full-time learners.
The Academy of Sport offers:
• Specialist training with professional Coaches
• Participation in local, regional and national leagues and competitions
• The very best training facilities in the region
• Strength and conditioning sessions tailored to you and your sport
• Match analysis and regular personal reviews with academy coaching staff
• Links with local amateur and semi-professional clubs
• Academy training kit
Dearne Valley College has one of the UK’s 153 Sport England Sports Makers – whose mission is to increase the number of 14 to-25-year olds who actively participate in sports.
Our Sports Maker organises a wide range of activities that all students can access, including:
• Lunchtime and after-college sports clubs
• Inter-college sports leagues and competitions
• Opportunities for students to take a leading or managerial role in sport
• Sports volunteering opportunities
As well as your chosen course, you may also have the opportunity to undertake a variety of additional qualifications throughout your time at Dearne Valley College which will boost your CV and career aspirations!
These additional qualifications include:
• Level 1 and 2 Award/Certificate in Nutrition and Health (NCFE)
• Level 1 Award in Nutrition for Physical Activity (NCFE)
• Level 2 Certificate in Emergency First Aid
• Community Sports Leaders Awards
• Higher Sports Leaders Award
• NEW Bronze/Silver and Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award
• CYQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym)
• Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport (1st for Sport)
• Level 1 Football Coaching Award
• Level 1 Football Refereeing Award
• British Canoe Union Level One & Two Star Awards
• Gear Mountain Biking Award
• Level One & Two Mountain Bike Activity Leadership
You will be required to wear appropriate sports clothing and footwear when undertaking practical sports activities. These are available to purchase from Dearne Valley College.
How you will be assessed
• Portfolio: You will create a portfolio or workbook of evidence such as practical work, presentations and case studies
• Assignments: You will be given specific assignments or projects to complete
• Practical and Group Work: Your Tutor will assess you completing practical work in the workshop or workplace
• Some courses also have one or two end-of-unit tests
Personalised Learning Programme
As part of your main programme you will have the opportunity to select units to specialise within an area that you may be passionate about or that reflects your career aspirations. The Personalised Learning Programme is unique to Dearne Valley College which allows you to gain a qualification tailored to you.
There are a number of pathways to choose from including:
• Fitness Services
• Leisure Operations
• Sports Performance and Excellence
• Sport and Physical Development
All of these pathways feature a number of specialist units which will enable you to develop essential skills required for gaining employment or furthering your qualifications to achieve your goals. You will typically choose these during induction week with support and guidance from your Tutor.
Careers in Sports and Physical Recreation include:
• Sports Centre Officer
• Leisure Centre Manager
• Fitness Instructor
• Sports Coach
• Sports or PE Teacher
• Personal Trainer
• Sport Development Officer
• Sports Maker
• Youth Worker
Sport and Physical Recreation Apprenticeships
We offer the following Apprenticeships:
• Activity Leadership Level 2
• Instructing Exercise and Fitness Level 2
• Personal Training Level 3
Find out more information and view live Apprenticeship vacancies by visiting the Apprenticeships section of this website.