Studying Public Services at Dearne Valley College...
Do you want to develop the skills and discipline needed to have a successful career in the uniformed and non-uniformed Public Services? Whether it be a career in the Police, Fire or Ambulance services, the Coastguard, the Prison and Security Services, Customs and Excise, or the Armed or Royal Air Forces, then a course in Public Services could be the route for you!
Our courses are filled with both theory-based knowledge from our industry-expert Tutors, combined with action-packed practical activities and pursuits. You will benefit from the use of the Manvers Boathouse making the most of the water sports on offer at the Manvers Lake, its surrounding landscape and fantastic resources and take advantage of the College’s excellent on-site sports facilities.
You will also build upon your team-building and confidence skills, with opportunities to experience the thrill of abseiling, mountain-biking, raft-building, canoeing and archery, and take part in exciting residential and course-related day trips such as adventure training, during your time as a student.
You will develop a broad range of transferable skills such as teamwork, communication, initiative and leadership, which are fantastic assets for your CV and sought after by a huge range of employers. On these courses, you will study a mixture of mandatory and optional units.
We offer a fantastic progression route into Higher Education within Public Services where you could specialise your area of interest such as Criminology or Law Studies.
Personalised Learning Programme
As part of your main programme you will have the opportunity to choose from a range of course sizes to enable you to specialise within an area depending on your career aspirations. The Personalised Learning Programme is unique to Dearne Valley College which allows you to gain a qualification tailored to you.
You will be required to wear a Public Services uniform, which will vary depending on the task you are completing. These are available to purchase from Dearne Valley College.
How you will be assessed
• Assignments: You will be given specific assignments or projects to complete. These will be in a variety of formats, such as presentations, posters, group work, reports and other activities
• Portfolio: You will create a portfolio or workbook of evidence such as practical work, presentations and case studies
• Practical/Group Work: Your Tutor will assess you completing practical work in an indoor or outdoor learning environment
As well as your chosen course, you may also have the opportunity to undertake a variety of additional qualifications throughout your time at Dearne Valley College which will boost your CV and career aspirations!
These additional qualifications include:
• Level 1 and 2 Award/Certificate in Nutrition and Health (NCFE)
• Level 1 Award in Nutrition for Physical Activity (NCFE)
• Level 2 Certificate in Emergency First Aid
• NEW Bronze/Silver and Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award
• CYQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym)
• British Canoe Union Level One & Two Star Awards
• Gear Mountain Biking Award
• Level One & Two Mountain Bike Activity Leadership
Careers in Public Services include:
• Police Service
• Armed Forces
• Prison and Security Services
• Fire and Rescue Service
• Youth Leader
• HM Customs and Excise including Border Agency
• Army Reserves Special Constable
• Police Community Service Officers
Volunteer Services including:
• HM Coastguard
• Ranger Service
• Mountain Rescue